Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

I'm a Graduate! Now and Then.

Then - 2003
Finally. 7 years ago I began my studies at Brigham Young University (BYU). After many LONG days and hundred of hours of class, homework, exams, tests and hard work I am officially a gradate! I now have a piece of paper with my name on it that says I stuck it out. I made it. I held on for dear life on the Roller Coster of a lifetime (some days it felt like a Roller Coaster from hell).

I celebrated this wonderful time with extended family (my family wasn't able to make it out to Utah from South Africa) and friends. The Cox family threw me a party on Thursday evening after Commencement and pictures.

On on Friday I was lucky to have a great friend, Ashley take pictures of my in my Cap and Gown before my college Convocation. It was all a very surreal experience and now that it's over, I wonder if there could have been something a little more memorable and life altering take place... being knighted by the Queen may have helped.


I guess I thought I'd feel different, but I feel about as different as I do on a birthday - not much. What this does do is put a new perspective to the phrase "It's the journey not the destination that matters." And yet, we place SO much importance on the destination that it is almost impossible to not wait in anticipation for the coveted day of graduation (or any other big day). And now 3 months since the day that I officially became Jacqueline du Plessis, holder of a Bachelor of Science in Psychology, I wonder how different I am to the girl who came to the United States in 2004 with bright eyes and dreams and expectations.

Now - 2011
PS: I was interviewed by a reporter from Deseret News and guess what, my name turned up on the font lead page of the Newspaper. I have a couple friends message and text me about it. Here is the full article: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700170163/2342-earn-degrees-during-BYU-summer-commencement.html

No comments:

Post a Comment